Sunday 25 August 2013

Leaping.

Ever since I can remember all I've wanted was a career in fashion.  I can't pin-point the exact moment and if I said one I'd be lying.  I think I've just known.  But now the time has come for me to go to uni and you know what? I'm terrified.  Living in a tiny Lincolnshire village all of my life has meant being secluded to big cities and new people - one reason I think I want to leave so bad.  But this (somewhat) sheltered life has led to me being a not-so confident teenager, with a fear of leaving home. Shit.  So going to uni will either make or break me (cliche' I know).  The step is needed to break me away from my safety net; especially with a chosen career path of fashion journalist which will most definitely require confidence -fml.  Truth be told I have improved in my two years studying at college, but the thought of starting fresh with new room mates and classmates, with no parents to run home to scares the living shit out of me.  I'm aware that "everyone is in the same boat" etc etc, but that doesn't change how I feel about it.  I'm also not saying I'm not going to go to uni just because of this, or I'd never leave home and be a cat lady for the rest of my life. Though that doesn't sound that unappealing... But with my brother being the first of our family to ever study at university, making me only the second, I feel that is something to be proud of.  I'm proud of my conditional offer and I'm proud of my grades.  I want to go, it's just doing it which is the hard part.  
I will do it of course.  A career is what I want, not a 9-5 office job, so I'm going to have to man up!  The course is what I want to do more than anything, and I'd hate to think my confidence issues kept me from my dreams. 
My room mates aren't going to be cereal killers, my classmates won't be zombies and I'm not (that) weird...So yes, I can do this.  It's just taking the leap I guess. 

2 comments:

  1. I say LEAP! I'm currently studying journalism at uni and it's such a great course to build your confidence. Good luck with it all :) x

    www.witty-woman.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope so, and thank you lovely!:-)x

      Delete